Best toys for active dogs – Hyperactive Pets
Do you know the best toy for a very active canine?
Treating your dog with an easter dog toy? There are endless dog toys on the market. But which is best toy for active dogs? As dog owners it is our responsibility to make sure our pet toys safe for them to play with. We should always check that your dog’s toy is in good condition.
- It is not beginning to lose its stuffing
- It does not have loose pieces such as ribbons and string that can be swallowed
- The squeaker inside cannot be ‘got’ at and inigested.
- Watch the fluffy toys with dogs that love to chew
- Do not let dogs play with toys made for children. They are not always tough enough for a dog with lose bits such as eyes and fabric pieces that can be pulled off.
Safe Pet Toys – Very Active Dogs
However, it may also surprise you to know that there are no government directives or standards for levels of toxins in pet toys. Toys for children in UK are covered by the Toy (Safety) Regulations 2011 and Safety Standard EN71. Although many of our children will play with and be in contact with the family dog toys!
In 2009 the Ecology Center in Michigan conducted a full study of levels of toxins in dog toys. The findings were quite startling and standards do not appear to have changed much:
- Almost half of the pet products had detectable levels of one or more hazardous chemical.
- A quarter of them had detectable levels of lead.
- Seven percent had lead levels greater than the safety standard for lead in children’s products.
- Nearly half of tennis balls specially made for pets had detectable levels of lead, while sports tennis balls contained none.
Top Tips: If yours is very active
Canines love to play with tennis balls, always buy the cheap sport type and not the pet shop balls. They bounce much better too!
Plastic toys imported from China including some major brands, but more likely the cheap ones, are quite likely to contain high levels of lead and other toxic materials. Always check to make sure toys are labelled BPA free or made from 100% safe natural rubber. Look for natural products such as jute, wool, cotton and leather.
Paws Plus One will only sell premium quality and safe chew toys made from natural products. The Beco chew toys are all non toxic and made from natural recycled products. PP1 also has some great new leather dog toys which are safe and tough for all breeds. They are tough, but also soft enough for puppies to chew on to ease teething. Leather is also good to use outdoors as it can be washed down and are best toys for Labs to chew and Spaniels.
Why not treat your dog to a new Easter dog toy?